[Watford] New machine

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 12:18:18 UTC 2012

Trying to get my head around the soup of different names.

Looking at AMD buldozers:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldozer_%28processor%29#Processors

something like a FX-8100 or FX-8140

Questions:

1) For the sake of a few extra pounds is it worth going for more GHz - I suspect not
   when getting to the high end - you just pay too much for the top of the line.

2) I suspect that speed to memory is very important - more important than raw
   CPU speed - else the CPU just spends time waiting for data.
   So high memory frequency seems 'a good thing'.
   A DDR3 speed of 1333MHz seems to be the highest speed of the sensibly priced CPUS,
   some Intel ones go to 1600MHz - but the CPU RRP is $,1000+ -- out of my budget.

   But I seem RAM as quoted to go to 2133MHz ... does anything (sensible) go
   that fast ?

   A large cache will help - the AMD CPUs above have 16MiB cache (8 + 8 of L2 + L3).
   I don't know if you can add the L2 & L3 like that;
   It is hard to find the data rates to L2 & L3 - also to main memory (frequency
   isn't everything)

   Anyone any pointers ?

Just look at the huge number of processor code names that Intel has, confusing
or what ?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Intel_processors

--
Alain Williams