[Watford] Printer ideas sought

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Sep 14 13:21:27 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 02:15:07PM +0100, M Fernandes wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I need to buy a new printer and I was wondering if there are any
> suggestions with Linux drivers in mind?
>
> I'm not going to be too pernikety, mainly because I think that will limit
> the response. The main use will be in a home environment.

You need to be aware not just of the price to buy the thing but of running
costs, these are much harder to assertain. The biggest cost will prob be ink,
look around and see where you can get ink from - will be much cheaper than from
the manufacturer.

I say ink: since I am guessing that you will want to print out the occasional
photos, something that laser printers don't seem to have resolution to do.

I get my ink from here:

    http://www.inkpower.co.uk/

I have a Brother printer, I am reasonably happy with it (connected to a CentOS
machine). A MFC 5460CN which also scanns, photocopies and faxes. Prob out of
date since I have had it a few years.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/