[Watford] Printer ideas sought

Phil Dobbin bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 14:46:41 UTC 2012

Alain Williams wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 02:15:07PM +0100, M Fernandes wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I need to buy a new printer and I was wondering if there are any
>> suggestions with Linux drivers in mind?
>>
>> I'm not going to be too pernikety, mainly because I think that will limit
>> the response. The main use will be in a home environment.

I have used a Canon MPR600r for the last five years with no problems at
all across all the distros below on a LAN. I get my inks from Amazon
(not Canon ones) & they work out to about £25 for a set of five & the
print quality is perfectly adequate (I gave up graphic design
twenty-five years ago so no real need for anything fancy).

As for drivers, CUPS with the regular libraries, picks it up fine (by
that I mean I haven't downloaded any specific drivers for the Canon that
I can remember. But, hey, five years is a long time ;-)

Recommended.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 6.3, Debian Squeeze, Fedora Beefy, OS X Snow Leopard, Ubuntu Precise