[Watford] Document formats

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Aug 28 11:12:17 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 12:08:56PM +0100, Alan Secker wrote:
> On 27/08/14 22:56, Alain Williams wrote:
> >Just in case you ever wondered what was wrong with proprietary document formats:
> >
> >     http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28953299
> >
> >Records of landmark US civil rights cases presided over by one of the country's most senior judges
> >have been removed from the internet.
> >
> >The state-run Public Access to Court Electronic Records (Pacer) service deleted numerous court
> >documents deemed incompatible with a software upgrade.
> >

> Jaw dropping.

Not sure quite what s/ware is incompatible, but ....

I have just been pointed at the following tweet:

    https://twitter.com/andrewjbtw/status/504046407859183617

So there's a world World's Standards Day
http://www.iso.org/iso/home/news_index/events/world-standards-day2014.htm
and the US celebrates it on a different day
http://www.ansi.org/meetings_events/wsw14/wsw.aspx?menuid=8

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/