[Watford] Something else discussed last night

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Feb 7 13:45:37 UTC 2014

Lottie Dexter is interviewed by Paxman:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7x7GYItzS4&feature=youtu.be&t=5m30s

Admits that she does not know how to code but thinks that it takes about a day
to learn.

You can build a web site in an hour

Paxo: how long does it take to learn to teach to code
Dexter: I think that you can pick it up in a day

I do agree with her when she says that people need to have some idea on how to
code, even if they will not become professional programmers. But then she goes
on about people needing to get jobs, coding enabling them to start their own
businesses.

She says that she started a campaign last year, if she had known how to code she could
done her own web site, done her own app, done her own graphics and saved a lot
of money.

Sigh - she clearly does not understand what she is talking about and is, I
suspect, repeating parrot fashion what she has been told.

If it only takes an hour (or a day) why did she not spend that time before she
was interviewed by Paxman ?

I think that it was Michael Gove who appointed her. Words fail me at this appointment!

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/