[Watford] Something else discussed last night

Jim Ford jaford at watford53.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Feb 7 17:29:26 UTC 2014

On 07/02/14 13:44, Alain Williams wrote:
> Lottie Dexter is interviewed by Paxman:
>
>      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7x7GYItzS4&feature=youtu.be&t=5m30s
>
> Admits that she does not know how to code but thinks that it takes about a day
> to learn.

Thanks for the link - I found it very entertaining!

She clearly has little or no idea what 'coding' is.

I wonder what 'code' they're thinking of teaching in schools - Assemby,
Cobol, Fortran, Perl or are they just going to get the kids to fire up
Squeak or Scratch and move an avatar around a 'playground' and call it
coding (I think that maybe Ms Dexter had Squeak or Scratch in mind,
because you can easily produce the 'e-cards' that she mentioned with it).

Perhaps these people should be put in front of an APL terminal and told
that _this_ is what coding is, so it frightens them off once and for all
so they get these silly ideas out of their heads!

Jim