[Watford] Something else discussed last night

Peter Grant grantpe at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 20:21:07 UTC 2014

Programing mentality can be taught without programming languages being
needed.
Having seen Scratch taught in a school, I think it's well worth doing to
the right age as it help convey the prinples of programming without
requiring that the pupils don't accidentally use a colon instead of a semi
colon.
Likewise, I think this game is quite good at gaining an understanding of
programming without using a formal programming language.
http://pleasingfungus.com/Manufactoria/

In many ways, exposing children to the concepts behind programming earlier
would allow those who enjoyed and/or were talented at it to take it
further, earlier. Possiblities such as GCSE Programming would be realistic
and could have a much better basis than GCSE ICT with it's 'Design a
database' in MS Access coursework.
Peter

"When you have a Swiss Army knife of a mind, everything looks like it
should be dismantled." Danny O'Brien/Merlin Mann