[Watford] Something else discussed last night

Jim Ford jaford at watford53.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Feb 7 21:24:24 UTC 2014

On 07/02/14 20:19, Peter Grant wrote:
> Programing mentality can be taught without programming languages being
> needed.
> Having seen Scratch taught in a school, I think it's well worth doing to
> the right age as it help convey the prinples of programming without
> requiring that the pupils don't accidentally use a colon instead of a
> semi colon.

I'm surprised that it has been taught in a school! My experience of
working at a secondary school (as a science technician), is that
anything that wasn't in the curriculum was totally ignored. I tried to
interest a couple of science teachers in 'Squeak', suggesting that some
physics laws could be modeled using the language, but only drew blank
looks. This was at a 'good' independent school.

Powerful though the underlying Smalltalk language is, I feel that
students used to sophisticated computer games aren't going to be
inspired by putting a lot of work into crudely moving a simple avatar
around a Squeak or Scratch 'playground'.

Jim