[Westwales] How to choose versions to download - Mandrake 8 user

STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Oct 16 16:01:01 2002

Dear All

I want to download a new version of VNC called Tight VNC and
I went to there download page:
  http://www.tightvnc.com/download.html

Unfortunately I do not know which of the Linux options I should
be choosing.  I am using Mandrake 8.  I have copied the options
from the web page and they are at the bottom of this mail.

I do not know if Mandrake 8 is RPM binary compatible etc so any
advice appreciated.

Thanks

Stephen (Swansea, Wales, UK)

P.S The text in square brackets is the download link

Source code:
[tar+bzip2] (1,717,851 bytes)
[tar+gzip] (2,127,717 bytes)
Compressed tar archive containing full TightVNC 1.2.6
source, without required zlib and JPEG libraries. You can
download either bzip2-compressed or gzip-compressed tar
archive. The contents is the same but bzip2-compressed
archive is smaller size and faster download. RedHat 7.x
RPM packages:

[viewer, i386] (83,798 bytes)
[server, i386] (724,279 bytes)
[source RPM] (1,726,571 bytes)
RPM packages of TightVNC 1.2.6 for Linux Red Hat 7.x and
compatible systems. If your system is RPM-based RedHat-like
Linux OS but is not binary-compatible with RedHat 7.x, you
probably have to rebuild packages from the source RPM. Note:
there is known incompatibility between certain Linux
distributions (to be correct, certain gcc/egcs packages) and
Imake stuff included in VNC / TightVNC source archives and
it's possible that re-building source RPM would fail on such
systems (to mention one, Mandrake 7.2 seems to be such
distribution).

Binaries for various Unix systems:
[ftp://ftp.kinetworks.com/tightvnc/]
--- NEW! --- TightVNC Unix binaries for Compaq-Tru64-V5.0A, Compaq-Tru64-V5.1A, Digital-UNIX-V4.0D, Digital-UNIX-V4.0E, Digital-UNIX-V4.0F, HP-UX-11.00B, Mandrake-Linux, Redhat-Linux,
SuSE-Linux, SunOS-5.6-sparc, SunOS-5.7-i386, SunOS-5.7-sparc,
SunOS-5.8-i386 and SunOS-5.8-sparc systems. These ports were
prepared and are currently maintained by Ki Networks, Inc.
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup