[Westwales] How to choose versions to download - Mandrake 8 user

Gareth Bowker westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Oct 16 16:15:01 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 16:00, STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I want to download a new version of VNC called Tight VNC and
> I went to there download page:
>   http://www.tightvnc.com/download.html
>
> Unfortunately I do not know which of the Linux options I should
> be choosing.  I am using Mandrake 8.  I have copied the options
> from the web page and they are at the bottom of this mail.
>
> I do not know if Mandrake 8 is RPM binary compatible etc so any
> advice appreciated.

Assuming they're using the same versions of libc, which I would have
thought they would be, an RPM for RedHat should install on Mandrake, and
vice-versa. You may have problems as they used to like sticking -mdk as
requirements to the versions and other things like that just to be a
pain. Make sure you've got any dependencies installed, then try
installing the RPM. If that dails, try it with no dependencies. If that
fails, er, see if you can figure out what it's relying on and install,
until it either works or all gets too much for you.

If in doubt, try it. If that fails, compile from source.

Oh, and if installing from source, don't forget to have all the -dev
packages you need installed.

Gareth