[Westwales] usb pci cards and webcam and....

Gareth Bowker westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Sep 15 01:26:01 2002

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 07:12:04PM +0100, Colin Sauze wrote:
> what kind of light levels are you going to have?
> I've found that tv based cameras tend to cope with low light a lot
> better than most webcams.

Yes, I'd agree with that from my limited attempts at getting a webcam set up
to take shots of the world outside my room. From what I can tell, a lot of
the USB cameras have a software light-level control, i.e. the software needs
to judge whether the light levels are sufficient, then send commands to the
camera if not. Only some capture software seems to support this (gqcam, an X
app, does iirc). Mine's a Kensington webcam, which is based on the SE401,
FWIW.

Good luck,

Gareth (catching up with e-mail after a while of funky network "issues")