[Westwales] usb pci cards and webcam and....

Jonathan West westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Sep 15 11:27:01 2002

--=-gg31gFd1dYZw+65uGI14

On Sun, 2002-09-15 at 01:25, Gareth Bowker wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 07:12:04PM +0100, Colin Sauze wrote:
> > what kind of light levels are you going to have?
> > I've found that tv based cameras tend to cope with low light a lot
> > better than most webcams.
>=20
> Yes, I'd agree with that from my limited attempts at getting a webcam set=
 up
> to take shots of the world outside my room. From what I can tell, a lot o=
> the USB cameras have a software light-level control, i.e. the software ne=
eds
> to judge whether the light levels are sufficient, then send commands to t=
he
> camera if not. Only some capture software seems to support this (gqcam, a=
n X
> app, does iirc). Mine's a Kensington webcam, which is based on the SE401,
> FWIW.
This is one aspect I haven't quite decided on yet, wether to take photos
every n mins or have it set up just to take when the light level
increases. Maybe able to use simpler s/ware if I go the n minutes route
Looks like a lot of learning to be done, which is one reason for doing
it this way :-)
Cheers
jon
--=20