[Westwales] Burning issue

John Bailey westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Apr 3 14:42:00 2003

Hi Bob,

Just uncovered this - haven't seen any replies yet, but forgive me if this
is a dupe.

> I have a Mandrake 9.0 installation that is not happy with my DVD/CD drives and
> I can't burn anything.

Forgive me if you already knew any of this, but it seemed like the most
sensible place to start.

In order to get your CD burner working under Linux, you need to present
it/them as a 'SCSI' device (I'm assuming your drives are IDE here).  This
is done by the use of the 'ide-scsi' driver, which basically works as a
translation level - making your CD drive looks like a SCSI device so that
CD writers can see it, then converting the SCSI commands to something more
useful for the IDE drive.

I'm afraid I don't use Mandrake myself, but if they've been good and nice,
they'll have provided scsi emulation via a loadable kernel module.
Hopefully you can just type "insmod ide-scsi" as root.  You might also
need "insmod scsi_mod" and "insmod sg" (load SCSI & SCSI Generic) previous
to that depending on what's compiled into the kernel and what's available
as a loadable module.

Once you've done this, if you type "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" you should see
your CD writers showing up as SCSI devices.

If you're still getting problems, then the CD-Writing-HOWTO[1]'s a pretty
good source of info.

All the best,

John

[1] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html