[Westwales] Burning issue

Robert Savage westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Apr 4 09:55:00 2003

Hi John,

On Thursday 03 Apr 2003 2:41 pm, John Bailey wrote:

> > I have a Mandrake 9.0 installation that is not happy with my DVD/CD
> > drives and I can't burn anything.
>
> In order to get your CD burner working under Linux, you need to present
> it/them as a 'SCSI' device (I'm assuming your drives are IDE here).  This
> is done by the use of the 'ide-scsi' driver, which basically works as a
> translation level - making your CD drive looks like a SCSI device so that
> CD writers can see it, then converting the SCSI commands to something more
> useful for the IDE drive.
> Once you've done this, if you type "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" you should see
> your CD writers showing up as SCSI devices.

Excellent... "cat/proc/scsi/scsi" now shows them both, yes they are ide
devices, and they are now available in Xcdroast, Gnome Toaster and Gcombust.
So just as an exercise I tried to burn a CD......

XCDroast is far too complicated for its own good and I gave up trying to
understand it in the end  :-)   Gcombust throws up error messages for every
file selected, something about mkisofs being too old for the version of
gcombust among other things and Gnome Toaster kept telling me there were no
tracks to record to but didn't tell me how to lay one down.  :-)

Maybe I'm getting too old for this lot, but in the past with my first
slackware version of Linux I acheived all this and more besides, so I had to
revert to Windows and "Nero 5 Burning" to make cds.  :-(

Many thanks for your help I shall not give up trying to make Linux my main
system but it looks like a steep learning curve.

Best regards

Bob