[Westwales] Made me laugh

John Bailey westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Feb 3 21:52:01 2003

> I have to question this one:
> > "The Sapphire Worm was the fastest computer worm in history. As it bega=
> > spreading throughout the Internet, it doubled in size every 8.5 seconds=
=2E
> So after 3 minutes it had infected over 1 million hosts, right? And in 5
> minutes, over 34 billion hosts? *Any* statistic which freely quotes
> anything on an exponential growth rate has to be questioned *8)

Well, I suppose as with most statistics, it has to be qualified =3D)  The
section quoted was just the juicy intro designed to lure you in ...

"Why Sapphire Was So Fast

Propagation speed was Sapphire's novel feature:  in the first minute, the
infected population doubled in size every 8.5 (=B11) seconds. The worm
achieved its full scanning rate (over 55 million scans per second) after
approximatly three minutes"

Cheers,

John