[Westwales] Made me laugh

Matt Hill westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Feb 3 23:09:00 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 22:03, John Bailey wrote:
> Propagation speed was Sapphire's novel feature:  in the first minute, t=
he
> infected population doubled in size every 8.5 (=B11) seconds. The worm
> achieved its full scanning rate (over 55 million scans per second) afte=
> approximatly three minutes"
>=20
dont know if anyone is interested in this little first hand experience,
but I found it interesting at the time.

I got dragged out to one of the civic centres where our web development
team are based. It seems that none of them could get any internet
access.

This team uses an 8 port netgear 10/100 switch plugged into a netgear
router which sees them out to a cisco router and off onto a kilostream
link to the big wide world.

Yes - the web team had an MS SQL server there, and yes - it was
unpatched. The worm was generating so much traffic on that network that
the (netgear) router wasn't able to handle it, with the switch only just
managing to not blow up.

If that's the effect the worm had with one server on a 100mbit switched
network, its hardly suprising the net went to hell.

Matt

--
Matt Hill  <matt@twpsyn.com>
-