[Westwales] help!

Andrew Rawlins westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Feb 4 14:36:01 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 13:44, JAMES STUTTARD wrote:

> hello there. i've got my sparc 4 box, and well its just a box as it uses an
> interesing interface for VGA and keyboard i cant talk to it via convensional
> means,
It uses a Sun keyboard, that is propriatary.  I have a spare one you can
have that will fit it.  You will need a W13-VGA adapter to use a normal
(well reasonably decent) PC VGA monitor.  I am afraid I don't have a
spare one.  If you have a Windows/Linux PC, then you can use a terminal
emulator and a null modem cable.  Plug that in (and remove the keyboard
- but as you dont have one thats not a problem), and set the terminal
program on your PC to 9600 Baud, 8 Bits, No parity.  Boot the sparc up
and you should see all of it's messages in the terminal program.  You
can then log on as root.

I would recommend you do a OS re-install, you'll get a cleaner system,
if you don't have any OS media etc.  Then when log in as root type
'/usr/sbin/sys-unconfig' (or something very similar), then when it
re-boots you can type in your own network information.  Oh, this assumes
the machine is running Solaris.

> also i dont know anything about its domain or ip address. is there
> any legal tools out there that i can use to basically find out over TCP what
> its' email address.  the thought of telnet xxx.xxx.xxx over and over again
> or writing a script to do it sounds very time consuming.  i also have a
> feeling that the idea of ip scanning or port sniffing is illegal?
sys-unconfig and re-configuring is probably going to be faster and cleaner.

> any guidance would be greatly apriciated
Best of luck,

Andrew

--
Andrew Rawlins