[Westwales] Hardware Compatability with SuSe

Alexander Ridler westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 18 22:26:01 2003

Hi guys,

A total linux noob here - so expect some rather tedious questions in time
*lol* - much like the one below.

I'll try to keep this as brief and as concise as possible - but entertain as
this is my first post 'ere! ;)

Basically, my goal is to setup a webserver of sorts at home and learn linux
along the way.  I've had some fleeting experience with IIS, Apache & PWS on
M$ XP&98 - but I was hassled quite often by port scanners and all the bad
stuff that comes with them.

Since Linux seems to offer stability and security (at a more then affordable
price ;) ) - I've haphazardly jumped off Microsoft's ship and made my way to
Linux's icy penquin filled shores.

Anyway...  I've had a fleeting experience with Mandrake 7.1,  but I was
blown away by the SuSe 8.2 distro on a mates laptop  - so I've opted for
using Suse as a starting point for my server  (RedHat might have been a
better option but Suse was just more appealing - but I probably will get it
in future, when I'm more accustomed to it all).

And now onto the real point of this post... rather then getting Linux SuSe
to work with one of my machines, Im going to do it all backwards.  I plan on
building a new computer to be fully 100% compatabile with SuSe - just to
make things easier for myself starting off.    I was just wondering if
anybody could recommend any hardware???

I've checked out the hardware database at Suse.co.uk  - and Intel P4's seem
to be the way to go, along with a Gigabyte Motherboard - but the mobo's they
have listed seem to be fairly old.  Could anyone recommend anything???

Or if anyone can direct me to any websites that can offer advice/help in my
linux quest - it will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

~Alex

http://www.msn.co.uk/internetaccess