[Westwales] Another possibly newbie-ish question

Jonathan West westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 22 20:21:01 2003

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Jon Pearse wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Having gotten my modem to boogie with Linux (surprisingly easy,
> actually), I'm trying to share the internet connection with my home
> LAN. I've had a look through the various control panels on my
> system, and I can't work out which one to use - that's said, I am
> used to MacOS X, where I just press a button :)
>
>   I'm running YellowDog Linux (pretty much RedHat, recompiled for PPC
> machines) Thanks for any help,
>
> -Jon
Hi Jon
I cheated and used a firewall distro do sort that out for me but you need
to look at ip masquarading and NAT ( I think) to do this.
Also to tell the machine on your lan that the linux box is the gateway.
If you got webmin on the YellowDog box that might configure it for you or
possibly use something like bastille.
Anyway someone who'd got more knowledge will be along soon so this is just
something to be looking at in the mean time
Cheers
Jon
---