[Westwales] Carmarthen meet anyone?

Simon Burns westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Mar 14 17:01:00 2003

I'm interested in a meet sometime. As for the format: I was listening to
Radio 4 while stuck in traffic yesterday. They were discussing the fairly
recent phenomenon of "Le Cafe Scientifique" where ordinary punters and
scientists go to discuss science in a down-to-earth and adult fashion (ie
the scientists don't talk down to the punters, the punters are allowed to
ask intelligent, often quite combative questions).

Wouldn't this be a better format for LUG meetings? If we go to a pub, I
won't drink because I have to drive later. If we go to a restaurant, that
doesn't seem an ideal environment for "geek talk" (might scare off the
other eaters ;-) And you can't readily move between tables.

But renting a cafe for an afternoon or evening, getting in a guest speaker
or two, being able to drink coffee, eat toast and chips, etc... Doesn't
that sound like a better, more congenial way to do business, learn
something relevant, etc?

So, how about "Le Cafe Linux"? Discuss.

--
Simon Burns