[Westwales] Burning issue

Robert Savage westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Mar 22 09:34:01 2003

Hi All,

I have a Mandrake 9.0 installation that is not happy with my DVD/CD drives and
I can't burn anything.  Neither XCD-Roast, GCombust or Gnome Toaster seem to
accept that fact that the drives are there.  I have two Pioneer drives
installed one is a DVD RW-103 burner the other a DVD-Rom. It was necessary to
correct fstab which got them the wrong way round and set the permissions
before I could even access them.  I found all this by experimenting with
Midnight Commander as I'm no expert but like to dabble.

Am I right in thinking that the Mandrake 9.0 distro, which I got from the PC
Plus CD is broken?  If so it is a pity because it installed like a dream and
I would very much like to kick out Micro$oft and use a true multitasking
system.  The previous installations, Mandrake7.2 and 8.0 worked OK.

Until niggling little problems like this are addressed we have a difficult
task persuading people to change over to Linux.

Comments anyone?

Regards
Bob Savage, in sunny west Wales