[Westwales] headless linux

P.L.Hayes paul at wolfbone.ath.cx
Wed Oct 22 00:27:13 BST 2003

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 23:36, jms2 at aber.ac.uk wrote:
> its been a bit quiet on this list recently, so i've got a question!
>
> i've got an old box, and i dont have a graphics card, or a keyboard
> that'll work with it, and i dont think a mouse.
>
> so i want to install linux on it, and run a few servers, ftp, www, etc
>
> i've had a look on google, and there are some suggestions about null modem
> cables and serial ports.  again, niether of which i have.
>
> so the challenge is simple, how to install, and get it into an accessable
> state, with telnet or ssh.  maybe over my network?
>
> please help!
>
> James Stuttard
> jms2 at aber.ac.uk

I recently installed Debian on something like what you've described but I did
have a graphics card and I needed it because the bios in the old box needed a
setting changing so it'd boot without a keyboard. With no graphics card at
all you'll have to pull out the hard disk and put it temporarily in another
machine to install to it then put it back. Of course if you haven't even got
a hard drive then there are ways to boot over a network via an ethernet card
or from a floppy and have a root filesystem served by another box via nfs, I
did this once for a box I had with no hard drive. I downloaded an iso image
of a complete 50 MB filesystem (redhat iirc) and mounted it loopback then
exported it to the diskless box via nfs. I didn't have the kind of bios/
ethercard set up needed for ethernet booting so I had to use a floppy with a
kernel set up for mounting root over nfs.

Anyway, if your old box has got a hard drive and if you can find a crappy old
graphics card and borrow a monitor/keyboard for an hour or two, it'll save
you a lot of trouble. You'd just need to download the Debian floppy images
and start the install from them. All the rest of the installing is done over
the net. You just connect the ethercard in the old box to one on your network
and make sure you set up networking and nat properly. Once you've got sshd up
and running on the old box you can retrieve your keyboard and monitor.

If you really can't find a graphics card and your bios is ok about not having
a keyboard and it's set up to boot off the floppy  you could go with the
nfsroot kernel on a floppy with root fs on a box on your local net. Then you
can ssh into the old box and mess with it's hard drive until you've got a
full system on it (dd the rootfs over the local net maybe). Then you just
make a normal boot floppy with the hard drive as root and you can ditch the
nfs stuff.

If you haven't got a network card then your options are severely limited and
personally I wouldn't know which way to go - well I would - I'd go to the
network card shop!