[Westwales] headless linux

Dan Ros dan at ivixor.net
Wed Oct 22 10:56:01 BST 2003

> so the challenge is simple, how to install, and get it into an accessable
> state, with telnet or ssh.  maybe over my network?

Well, that's not possible, not until the machine is on the network. You
have a couple of options:

1) find/borrow/steal keyboard + graphics card + monitor :)
2) put hard drive into a pc that does have the above, install, configure
for network (bearing in mind the right driver for the network card that
the server will have), then put the drive back, cross your fingers, and
boot.

Afaik, serial consoles are disabled by default in most distros, but you
would need access to the system even when linux was not booted, so that
wouldnt help  too much. This is easy with a system that has a built in
remote console port,  but that is something that pc's dont currently don't
have unfortunately.

Dan