[Westwales] headless linux

Matt Hill matt at twpsyn.com
Wed Oct 22 16:51:22 BST 2003

> Afaik, serial consoles are disabled by default in most distros, but you would need access to the
> system even when linux was not booted, so that wouldnt help  too much. This is easy with a
> system that has a built in remote console port,  but that is something that pc's dont currently
> don't have unfortunately.

Just as point of note, it is possible to do this. At least it is on FreeBSD, so I suspect that it
can also be done on Linux *somehow*.

The BSD process involves the use of a specific boot floppy (iirc) on the machine, which will bring
up the install console on a serial port. Plug your old text terminal (or whatever) in and you're
away.

At least that's the theory, I didnt have much luck and wound up doing it the old fashioned way,
but never mind ;)

Matt