[Westwales] Mandrake and drakgw modem sharing

P.L.Hayes westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Sep 12 11:22:00 2003

On Friday 12 September 2003 09:26, Adrian Shaw wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with modem sharing using drakgw?
>
> I'm running Mandrake 9.1 to connect via a modem, and have my 2 home
> machines connected to each other with network cards.
>
> I set it up, it works fine, all settings on the other computer (which
> is running either NT4, Win2K or Mandrake 9.1) correct.
>
> Then I go away, shut down my computer.
>
> Then I come back again, and it doesn't work. I check drakgw. It says
> modem sharing is configured and enabled. It still doesn't work. So I
> reconfigure using drakgw, taking all the settings as they were
> before. And hey presto it works again!
>
> So what's not getting saved properly? Or what's wrong? Is there some
> service I haven't started at boot time?
>
> Adrian

First (as root on the gateway box) try -

'sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1'

- when you are connected to the internet but sharing isn't working. If
that fails because /sbin/sysctl is missing, install the procps package
and try again. If it does work, and you are able to 'see' the 'net from
another box, then you need to check the following configuration files:

Check /etc/sysctl.conf and make sure there's a line:

net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

If that doesn't do the trick, or the line was already there, try adding:

FORWARD_IPV4=yes

to /etc/sysconfig/network aswell.

The service 'network' must run at boot time to pick up these
configurations and it probably already does but check it out. If you're
running a firewall, you've got to configure that properly too.

The Mandrake scripts and configuration tools are full of bullshit and
errors and I never use them myself so I can't be sure drakgw
does/doesn't do something else I don't know about. If none of the above
works for you, you could ask someone in #mandrake on
irc.eu.freenode.net.

Regards, Paul.