[Westwales] My Dilemma

Gareth Bowker tgb at tgb.org.uk
Mon Mar 1 14:29:08 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 13:17, Dan Field wrote:
> I've been using Debian for a while now (few years) and I've always found
> it to be great for servers. However I'm having a bit of a downer at the
> moment. Let me explain the way my litle brain thinks:

<snip>

http://www.apt-get.org/ may be your friend (going a bit slowly atm so
I've not verified this). Alternatively, the whole point of building from
source is that it'll take into account the fact that you're running
stable. Each package has build-depends, so you shouldn't get "obscure
dependencies" problems - it'll pull in any packages that it needs and
it's up to you to accept its installing any/all of these.

Perhaps try adding testing to your sources.list and running:

	apt-get update
	apt-get -b source mysql-server/testing

Good luck :)

Gareth

PS take a look at apt pinning if you've got a spare moment, that'll stop
it upgrading your system without your specific say-so.