[Westwales] Data Base Files

Robert Savage bobsavage at uklinux.net
Sat Oct 2 12:27:08 BST 2004

Hi Chaps,

Can one of you very knowledgeable guys tell me if it's possible to import a
text (.txt) file into something and turn it into a data base file (.db
or .dbf)?  It's a list of component part numbers followed by a description,
in other words two columns basically and I want to be able to search the file
by part number or description.   It's a big list so retyping it into a
database program would be hard work unless I can find a natty little typist
who is prepared to work for next to nothing (that was FOR not IN)  :-)

I've tried MS Works but there is no way of importing .txt files,  neither
could I get anywhere in Open Office.  It may be something that is very simple
to do but I have little experience of database programs.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Bob Savage.