[Westwales] Data Base Files

Gareth Bowker tgb at tgb.org.uk
Sat Oct 2 12:47:11 BST 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 12:27 +0100, Robert Savage wrote:
> Hi Chaps,
>
> Can one of you very knowledgeable guys tell me if it's possible to import a
> text (.txt) file into something and turn it into a data base file (.db
> or .dbf)?  It's a list of component part numbers followed by a description,
> in other words two columns basically and I want to be able to search the file
> by part number or description.   It's a big list so retyping it into a
> database program would be hard work unless I can find a natty little typist
> who is prepared to work for next to nothing (that was FOR not IN)  :-)

A common way of getting data in from a text file to a database of any
description is to use CSV or TSV files, those are "Comma-separated
Variables" and "Tab-separated Variables". If you can get the data in
that format then most databases should be able to import it. Which
database are you trying to import into?

Gareth