[Westwales] More MDK 10.0 Problems

Robert Savage bobsavage at uklinux.net
Sat Sep 4 09:55:18 BST 2004

On Saturday 04 Sep 2004 05:54, John Bailey wrote:

> It'd seem that there are two versions - one supplied by Broadcom (bcm4400)
> and a second one developed by the comunity (bc44).  Which version are you
> running?  ("lsmod" might help)  Also, what kernel?  I seem to recall that
> you forced a 2.4 installation?  I presume from what you wrote that a
> power-off/power-on clears the problem?

Thanks John,

'lsmod' (something else I've learnt) shows it to be bcm4400.  The kernel is
2.4 as you quite rightly recall,  and changing 'acpi=ht' to 'acpi=on' in lilo
sorted the powerdown problem.

I've stopped 'network' in Mandrake Control Panel Services, thinking that would
stop it from switching off the network controller, but it still switches it
off when I do a restart.  The only way I can keep the controller switched on
for use in Windows is to use the big hammer approach and hit the hard reset
button :-)

Now beginning to wish I'd left well alone and continued with Mdk 9.2 !

Cheers
Bob