[Westwales] More MDK 10.0 Problems

John Bailey wwlug at anotherdimension.net
Sat Sep 4 05:11:10 BST 2004

Evening Bob,

> It didn't happen in 9.2 nor in any of the previous versions,  but when I shut
> down Mandrake 10.0 it switches off the on-board Broadcom 4401 100Base-T
> network controller.

A goog Googling suggests that:
a) Other people have had this problem too.
b) The Broadcom driver ... "isn't what it could be"

Anyway, I'd suggest from what I've read that it's a bug in the driver
(though whether the bug is in the Linux driver for leaving the card in a
poor state or in the Windows driver for failing to deal with the state of
the card when it finds it is a matter for debate).

It'd seem that there are two versions - one supplied by Broadcom (bcm4400)
and a second one developed by the comunity (bc44).  Which version are you
running?  ("lsmod" might help)  Also, what kernel?  I seem to recall that
you forced a 2.4 installation?  I presume from what you wrote that a
power-off/power-on clears the problem?

Cheers,

John