[Westwales] Mandrake eats partition info for breakfast [was Re: MDK 10.0 Shutdown]

John Bailey wwlug at anotherdimension.net
Sun Sep 5 20:39:45 BST 2004

> I had to test out that release, and it was only later
> that I found when I tried to install more distros that
> no other OS's version of fdisk was happy with what
> Mdk had left :-(

In my experience stuff like this is often caused by different O/S
detecting & using different disk geometries (see
<http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Large-Disk-HOWTO.html> for more
details).

You can sometimes get around it by forcing all the installations to use
the same geometry (Linux accepts parameters at boot time).

Cheers,

John