[Westwales] Debian and firewire drives

Jon Pearse jon at jonpearse.net
Fri Apr 22 17:02:25 BST 2005

Hi,

   I went out and bought a 160GB firewire hard drive a couple of weeks
back, largely as a backup device for my iBook. However, even if I
imaged the iBook's hard drive and saved that to the external, I'd have
100GB free... so, what does one do with 100GB free hard disk space?
   One decides that now is the time to have a serious foray into the
world of Linux and put this stuff one has been taught at uni into
practice, of course (I never claimed that I was sane). The idea being
that, as the external drive is empty, I don't have to bother backing
everything up so I could reformat everything. Having heard good things
about Debian, I decided to run with that and annoy my housemates by
downloading 4GB of data overnight on the shared DSL connection.

   So, I now have a G3-based iBook, a 160GB external firewire hard drive
that will allow me to boot off it (I checked this before I bought it),
a set of debian (3.0r5) install CDs, and four slightly miffed
housemates.
   But this is where the problems start - Debian apparently doesn't play
well with firewire hard drives, so when I got to the "select a disk"
part of the installation procedure, the only option was the internal
hard drive... and I'd rather avoid having to wipe that and reinstall
everything later.

   So, does anyone here know how I can get around this and get Linux -
of some variety - running off the firewire drive? The readme files seem
to suggest that the only way to do this is by recompiling the kernel
with additional drivers, which would require me to wipe the internal
drive, and install Linux on that... not something I'm going to do at
any point in the near future. Any advice as to how I could get Linux on
the external drive without having to mess around too much would be
gratefully appreciated.
   If there's no way around this, then I'll not bother and Linux can
wait for the day I have a spare computer knocking around... in which
case, if anyone wants a full set of Debian 3.0r5 PPC disks...

   Thanks in advance for any help.

-Jon

  http://www.jonpearse.net                            jon at jonpearse.net
  AIM/Skype: JonDPearse                      Phone: +44 (0)78 1260 2710

  Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while
  and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.