[Westwales] Debian and firewire drives

John Bailey wwlug at anotherdimension.net
Fri Apr 22 18:55:18 BST 2005

>  But this is where the problems start - Debian apparently doesn't play well
> with firewire hard drives, so when I got to the "select a disk" part of the
> installation procedure, the only option was the internal hard drive... and
> I'd rather avoid having to wipe that and reinstall everything later.

That'd be the installer, which is supposedly much better in the upcoming
release.  I'm afraid I've never actually installed 3.0 (I've just
continually upgraded older versions), but somewhere in the install you
should have the option of installing additional device drivers.  You need
to install the firewire driver (ieee1394), which I'd presume isn't loaded
by default.  After that, you should see the firewire drive show up as a
SCSI device.

Of course, 3.0 is ancient by now, so it might be that it doesn't include
firewire support (or at least not for your device).  In which case I'd
suggest downloading a boot iso (usually about 40Mb ish - take a look at
<http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/> - look at the 'netinst' CD
images) from a more recent version, then doing a network install to save
having to burn 4 more CDs.

Have Fun,

John