[Westwales] Uh. Coupla questions...

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 14:09:44 BST 2005

On 25/06/05, Mister JTA <misterjta at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't, however, get to the /windows disk, even by poking about in a
> terminal, going all the way up the folder tree, and then trying to
> come back down, which is currently spoiling the "play music from that
> partition" bit of the plan.

Your windows partition isn't "mounted". You can mount it manually
using the "mount" command and once you have that working, you can make
Ubuntu automatically mount it at bootup by maintaining the /etc/fstab
file.

IDE disks follow the naming convention /dev/hda (primary master)
through to /dev/hdd (secondary slave). For example if your windows
partition lived on the second disk on the primary channel then it
would be one of the part on /dev/hdb. You can use the "fdisk" command
to list the partitions..

alan at wopr:~ $ sudo fdisk -l /dev/hda
Password:

Disk /dev/hda: 200.0 GB, 200049647616 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24321 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hda1   *           1       24259   194860386   83  Linux
/dev/hda2           24260       24321      498015    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5           24260       24321      497983+  82  Linux swap / Solaris

So you could create a directory using "mkdir" called "/windows" for
example, then mount it with "mount /dev/hda2 /windows" - it should
auto figure out the filesystem "FAT32" is "vfat" on linux, but if it
doesn't use "mount -t vfat /dev/hda2 /windows". Obviously replacing
/dev/hda2 with whatever your windows partition is.

"man mount" and "man fstab" will help.

Cheers,
Al.

Cheers,