[Westwales] Mandriva and dual monitors, among other things

Jon Pearse jon at jonpearse.net
Thu May 12 16:19:00 BST 2005

   Well, I eventually got around to having another go at getting dual
monitors working, and an hour of messing around means that, instead of
having my external monitor show a neutral grey, it now shows an odd
yellow tartan-esque pattern which looks as though it could be a mirror
of what's displaying on the main screen, but ... not quite (
http://morawel.ath.cx/~jon/funkiness.jpg ).
   For whatever reason, xorg doesn't seem to be realising that I can
drive two displays, so it's either complaining that it can't find the
other screen, or that I've got a duplicate device definition for the
graphics card... or it complains because Mandriva's setup insists on
putting double quotes in the DeviceName field, and when it's tired of
that, it also complains that it's missing a ModeLine statement. Oddly
enough, it only does this when the statement is there... if I delete
the line, it shuts up.

   Ideas? (xorg.conf attached)

-Jon

--
# File generated by XFdrake.

# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of
# this file.
# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"
     # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated
together)
     # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server
independent of
     # the X server to render fonts.
     FontPath "unix/:-1"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
     #DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
     #DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
     AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the
mouse does not work
EndSection

Section "Module"
     Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
     Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
     Load "extmod"
     Load "type1"
     Load "freetype"
     Load "glx" # 3D layer
     Load "dri" # direct rendering
     Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier "Keyboard1"
     Driver "keyboard"
     Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
     Option "XkbLayout" "en_US"
     Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier "Mouse1"
     Driver "mouse"
     Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
     Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
     Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier "monitor1"
     VendorName "Apple"
     ModelName "Apple iBook2 12 (1024x768)"
     HorizSync 30-70
     VertRefresh 43.0-72.0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier "monitor2"
     VendorName "LaCie"
     ModelName "photon19vision"
     HorizSync 30-70
     VertRefresh 43.0-72.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
     Identifier "radeon1"
     BoardName "Radeon Mobility M7"
     Driver "radeon"
     Screen 0
     Option "MonitorLayout" "Auto, Auto"
     Option "CloneMode" "OFF"
EndSection

Section "Device"
     Identifier "radeon2"
     BoardName "Radeon Mobility M7"
     Driver "radeon"
     Screen 1
     Option "MonitorLayout" "Auto, Auto"
     Option "CloneMode" "OFF"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
     Identifier "screen1"
     Device "radeon1"
     Monitor "monitor1"
     DefaultColorDepth 24
     SubSection "Display"
	Depth 24
         Virtual 1024 768
     EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
     Identifier "screen2"
     Device "radeon2"
     Monitor "monitor2"
     DefaultDepth 24
     SubSection "Display"
         Depth 24
	Virtual 1280 960
     EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
     Identifier "layout1"
     InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
     InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
     Screen 0 "screen1" 0 0
     Screen 1 "screen2" LeftOf "screen1"
EndSection

 http://www.jonpearse.net                            jon at jonpearse.net
 AIM/Skype: JonDPearse                      Phone: +44 (0)78 1260 2710

 Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while
 and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.