[Westwales] Linux with XP

Colin Sauze colinsauze at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 21:34:20 BST 2006

>stick lilo on the partition, boot from disk, and the IT students have their
>own private machines that no other bugger can get at,

Be careful on that one, they may not be as private as you think! A lot
of Linux distros have a local security weakness. If you can type stuff
at the Lilo/grub menu you can boot to init level 1 which just gives the
user a command prompt with full root access without prompting for any
passwords. The obvious way round this one is to stop the user editing
the arguments in lilo (I think grub can password protect the menus).
Also make sure that you disable booting from CD/floppy/usb/network and
put on a bios password.