[Westwales] Another fix please!

Robert Savage bobsavage at uklinux.net
Fri Feb 3 10:46:07 GMT 2006

Hi again chaps,

There is another little problem Suse 10.0 will not give me use of the modem
unless I reinstall it every time.  It's an external one on ttyS0.  The
default application for internet connection is Kinternet,  which I was not
impressed with as it gave no feedback as to what was going on.  Not a problem
for boadbanders but with us simple 56k chappies we like to have full control
so that inverse Robin Hood... er sorry BT don't any more vast profit than is
necessary :-)

I prefer Kppp and have installed that on the desktop but on trying to connect
I get "unable to open modem".  If I then install the modem in Yast it will
work but only for that session, on reboot I'm back to square one.  After
installing the modem a link "@modem" appears in the /dev but this disappears
on reboot.  Anyone any idea what I should be doing or whereabouts in the
config files I should be fiddling?

By the way Steve, I have four machines here networked together but have never
managed to network "cross platform" as it were.  I gave up and had to resort
to networking in Windows only 'cause it was simple to set up.  One of these
days when I get time I will revisit the problem.  In the mean time a USB
Stick is a darned useful thing :-)

Regards

Bob