[Westwales] Another fix please!

Colin Sauze colinsauze at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 11:41:50 GMT 2006

On 03/02/06, Robert Savage <bobsavage at uklinux.net> wrote:

> Hi again chaps,
>
> There is another little problem Suse 10.0 will not give me use of the
> modem
> unless I reinstall it every time.  It's an external one on ttyS0.  The
> default application for internet connection is Kinternet,  which I was not

Try using the terminal in kinternet and sending "ATZ" commands at your
modem. If you can communicate ok with it you should get back an "OK". ATZ
just resets the modem.

impressed with as it gave no feedback as to what was going on.  Not a
> problem
> for boadbanders but with us simple 56k chappies we like to have full
> control
> so that inverse Robin Hood... er sorry BT don't any more vast profit than
> is
> necessary :-)
>
> I prefer Kppp and have installed that on the desktop but on trying to
> connect
> I get "unable to open modem".  If I then install the modem in Yast it will
> work but only for that session, on reboot I'm back to square one.  After
> installing the modem a link "@modem" appears in the /dev but this
> disappears
> on reboot.  Anyone any idea what I should be doing or whereabouts in the
> config files I should be fiddling?

I suspect it could be something to do with the ownership and permissions on
/dev/modem and /dev/ttyS0. Try typing ls -l /dev/ttyS0 after its reinstalled
and then again after a reboot and see if the ownership changes. KDE *SHOULD*
set the ownership correctly on login for most devices.