[Westwales] The way things are going.

Llywelyn Owen linux at spamtracker.co.uk
Mon May 22 20:34:32 BST 2006

On Sunday 21 May 2006 14:56, Robert Savage wrote:

> I am a little concerned by the way each of these Linux distributors tailor
> the system to their own liking, sort of "branding".  Doesn't this destroy
> the original concept of Linux,
Surely diversity is good compared with the lack of choice with Windows. I like
the idea that I can chose another distro if I don't like the way my current
one is going. Something I'm considering now with SUSE is maybe trying
Kubuntu. "Linux" is not the same as the "distribution" - is it?
> and create incompatibilities in the
> installation of application software ?
> If the distribution requires an
> 'expert' to install and set up then Mr or Mrs Average User is not going to
> take to the idea of a simple alternative to Gates's poor offerings.
I agree that this is a put off for new users.

FWIW

Regards
Llywelyn Owen