[Westwales] Must I use .NET?

Colin Sauze colinsauze at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 20:58:38 GMT 2007

On 18/12/2007, John Beisley <greatred at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's probably not an entirely bad choice. Microsoft may have actually
> done a good thing in producing .NET. The .NET design itself is not
> tied to Windows, and Microsoft have actually encouraged the
> development of Mono (I believe)

Its my understanding (but i'm not totally sure on this) that Mono only
supports .NET version 1 and Microsoft are now standardising on .NET version
2. In addition to this there aren't many pure .NET apps most involve some
Win32 calls breaking their portability (even to other M$ platforms like
Windows Mobile). Although a driver which is written purely in .NET should be
ok.

Despite it being an official standard its still not really a cross-platform
system, at least not yet. My understanding is that we are still someway from
being able to compile an application for Mono and run it on Windows or
vice-versa. However things might have moved on since I last looked.

There's also something called DotGNU which run's .NET on linux, not sure how
its related to mono and which works better.

So unless they have something sneaky up their sleeves, or someone