[Westwales] Must I use .NET?

Michael Sheldon mike at mikeasoft.com
Wed Dec 19 21:44:29 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 20:58 +0000, Colin Sauze wrote:

> On 18/12/2007, John Beisley <greatred at gmail.com> wrote:
>         It's probably not an entirely bad choice. Microsoft may have
>         actually
>         done a good thing in producing .NET. The .NET design itself is
>         not
>         tied to Windows, and Microsoft have actually encouraged the
>         development of Mono (I believe)
>
> Its my understanding (but i'm not totally sure on this) that Mono only
> supports .NET version 1 and Microsoft are now standardising on .NET
> version 2.

 Mono supports pretty much all of .NET 1.1, a large chunk of .NET 2.0
and some important parts of .NET 3.0 (via the experimental Olive
extensions).

 As a side note a large amount of Silverlight (Microsoft's Flash
competitor) has been re-implemented by the Mono team in a project called
Moonlight.

>  In addition to this there aren't many pure .NET apps most involve
> some Win32 calls breaking their portability (even to other M$
> platforms like Windows Mobile). Although a driver which is written
> purely in .NET should be ok.
>
> Despite it being an official standard its still not really a
> cross-platform system, at least not yet. My understanding is that we
> are still someway from being able to compile an application for Mono
> and run it on Windows or vice-versa. However things might have moved
> on since I last looked.

 An application compiled against Mono or .NET will happily run on either
system (as long as all the functions used are supported by both systems)
and Mono can also be installed on Windows if you so desire.

Cheers,
 Mike.