[Westwales] Site Setup

Colin Sauze colinsauze at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 00:40:16 BST 2007

Matthew Bennett wrote:
> Robert Savage wrote:
>
>> I have web space on UKFSN but am not sure how to get my publication onto
>> the site.  Connected to UKFSN as usual using kppp then brought up KBear
>> and entered the FTP address in its connect dialog, together with
>> username and pswd.  Second window in KBear showed  a folder with the
>> label 'Website'.  First time I did this I seemed able to open it but as
>> soon as I tried to copy my files KBear shutdown.  On Subsequent
>> attempts I got an error message about permission opening the folder.

It could be that you don't actually have permission to access that
folder. Did kbear list any permissions (might be listed as 10
characters, something like drwxr--r--)? Did it say what user owns the file?

>> Is KBear broken?  Am I doing it all wrong?  Should I give up and open a
>> bottle of wine?
>>

> It wouldn't suprise me. I'm a gnome user at the moment, so I tend to keep
> away from KDE apps.
>
> Might I suggest using firefox with FireFTP? It is very easy to use, but of
> course that depends on you being a firefox user... If so, it's available
> in the firefox repositories online at
>
> If possible, however, it is recommended that you use something more secure
> than just FTP. I believe FTP sends passwords unencrypted over the internet
> - WinSCP is available for windows, and it works ok under the latest wine
> builds...

There's also SCP/SFTP on linux. Its normally invoked from the command line though. There's a reasonably good explanation at http://kb.iu.edu/data/agye.html.
There are probably some graphical clients but I don't know of any off the top of my head, konqueror might even support it directly these days but i'm not sure.