[Westwales] To network or not to network?

Robert Savage bobsavage at ukfsn.org
Sat Oct 6 10:06:56 BST 2007

I did promise another daft question so here it is...

Which bit of Linux determines where the mail client or web browser looks
for the isp's  servers when I connect to the Internet?  I use Kppp so I
can see what's going on.

This machine has a Broadcom  Corp. BCM4401 onboard NIC (eth0) and an
external serial modem (ppp0).  If I disable eth0 I can connect to my isp
servers via the modem and get mail etc. but with it enabled the mail
clients and Firefox appear to be looking on the local network for
them.   This has bugged me with several of the Distros I have tried,
whereas MicroSh....(rhymes with kite) Windows allows me to set up a
local network and an Internet connection without any problem, trouble is
I don't want to connect with a barn door.

The new Apple machines are looking very tempting but then I'd have no
reason to read all your highly amusing banter!  :-)

This message has been set to line wrap at 65 characters, or was it self
destruct is 30 seconds.

Cheers
Bob