[Westwales] To network or not to network?

John Beisley greatred at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 10:28:39 BST 2007

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but one possibility is that your
routing is set up wrong.

Try the "route" command. You should get a list of destinations versus
the gateway (if any) used for them. You should ensure that your
default gateway is set to the other end of your ppp connection with a
command like:

route add default gw 1.2.3.4  (where 1.2.3.4 would become the IP
address at the other end of your ppp connection)

The thing is that your dialer should set this stuff up automatically
when the modem connection is made. This makes me wonder if your
netmask on your ethernet interface is set to 0.0.0.0 or something, and
is thus getting routing priority over the modem (again, I'm not an
expert).

Useful things to post up on here:

The output of "ifconfig" with both the eth0 and ppp0 interfaces up.
The output of "route" with both interfaces up.

Feel free to censor the IP addresses in both cases, particularly those
that are concerned with your ppp0 interface, just censor them in the
same way on the output of both commands so that we can see what's
what.

Hope that helps,

- John