[Westwales] RPM problem

Robert Savage bobsavage at ukfsn.org
Fri Jan 18 09:53:23 GMT 2008

Hi Guys,

I have just installed Fedora 7 from the Linux Format DVD (tried Fedora 8
first but that just hung at boot up),  and have a problem installing
further software.  When I click on and rpm package  to install  it I get
a window come up with "Unable to retrieve software info - this could be
caused by not having a network connection".   Quite right I don't have a
network connection,  this machine is a stand alone device not connected
to anything,  the package in question is on its own DVD.

How or where do I tell it to stop looking for a network and redirect it
to the CD or DVD in the drive?

Why do these developers always assume we are a ALL on broadband,  they
obviously don't live twenty miles from an exchange with tatty wires as a
connection :-)

Bob

Life would be boring if I didn't have a Linux Box to shout at  :-)