[Westwales] Network problem

Adrian Moran paradox1940 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 10 13:55:29 UTC 2010

Hi LUG,

I'm using a small home network for CFD problems.  The machines have XP and Suse 8.1 Linux on them.  I'm using 8.1 because my fortran compiler (Lahey) seems to be tied to this and they seem to want people to buy completely new ones rather than allowing an upgrade.  I'm a hobbyist and can't afford to pay them another 600 or so quid.

The problem is that using XP the machines will happily access files and pass data to work on, but I can't do this in Linux.  Pinging one to the other using IP nos. (but not computer names) is OK.   I can't access the files on different machines via IP numbers in a browser.  This latter is the same in XP.  I've been trying for a couple of weeks, the net hasn't helped much, and I think I've done everything by the book as far as Yast etc. is concerned, so advice would be v.gratefully recieved.

Many thanks,

Adrian