[Westwales] Network problem

Matt Moore mattrm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 17:51:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Adrian Moran <paradox1940 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi LUG,
>
> I'm using a small home network for CFD problems.  The machines have XP and
> Suse 8.1 Linux on them.  I'm using 8.1 because my fortran compiler (Lahey)
> seems to be tied to this and they seem to want people to buy completely new
> ones rather than allowing an upgrade.  I'm a hobbyist and can't afford to
> pay them another 600 or so quid.
>
> The problem is that using XP the machines will happily access files and pass
> data to work on, but I can't do this in Linux.  Pinging one to the other
> using IP nos. (but not computer names) is OK.   I can't access the files on
> different machines via IP numbers in a browser.  This latter is the same in
> XP.  I've been trying for a couple of weeks, the net hasn't helped much, and
> I think I've done everything by the book as far as Yast etc. is concerned,
> so advice would be v.gratefully recieved.

Adrian,

You might want to pick a slightly more active LUG to ask your question
on.  However, a bit more detail wouldn't go amiss.  I'm assuming that
using a FLOSS Fortran compiler is out?  Dodge the problem so you can
move to a more recent distro.  If that's not doable, then I'm assuming
you're using samba?  Which version?  Could you post the config files
on here?  I doubt it's a network problem per se, sounds more like a
samba issue.  Also CFD problem?  Is that Computational fluid dynamics?
 Do you have some kind of distributed processing setup, where by the
machines pick up files from a core server and process them ala
SETI/Folding at Home but on a smaller scale?  Does this use samba?  If
not samba then what?

Finally I assume this has all worked in the past?  If yes, when did it
break and can you remember if anything changed around the time it
broke?

You'll probably get a better response on a more active LUG (this is
the first email on here this year and there were barely 5 or 6 emails
last year) or on a site like Linux Questions, where they hopefully
won't just go 'upgrade your distro'.  :D

Cheers,

Matt