[Wiltshire] Meeting 8 th December 2008

dianne reuby pramclub at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 11 16:32:54 UTC 2008

> How are you connected? Do you have ADSL down a phone line or a Virgin cable
> modem? Do you use a separate router? Does it have WiFi? Do you use it?

> Tell us exactly what you have and use, then somebody might be able to help get
> you running.
It's really odd - I've used virgin/ntl for years, and had no problems with Ubuntu since I first tried it two years ago - worked immediately. But I was using a USB connection rather than ethernet, mainly because we never got round to buying a cable. :)  We just plugged the modem into whichever PC we were going on line with - they're next to each other so it was no hassle and we rarely wanted to be online at the same time.
When we had the problem recently, the engineer put a new modem on for us as ours was quite old, but it only has ethernet. Ubuntu finds my card, but won't connect. Hence trying different cards, cables, slots, routers. XP is fine - although it shouldn't be, because the IP address it's using isn't the router default. We can't log into the router to change it, but it still works, which is another mystery.I have exactly the same problem with or without a router - going straight to the modem makes no difference.
That's why I'm getting desperate enough to reinstall XP, so I can at least phone tech support and let them use their crib sheet to see if we can fix it, then revert to Ubuntu.  Good job my husband never gets rid of his old hard drives!
Dianne