[Wiltshire] Meeting 8 th December 2008

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Thu Dec 11 12:31:17 UTC 2008

On Thursday 11 Dec 2008, dianne reuby wrote:

> >> What's the problem with getting Internet working?
> In a word Virgin/ntl :( I still haven't managed to get internet since the
gas contractors cut through my cable. It's running OK on XP. A couple of
linux experts have been helping me, but no success. I think I'll have to put

Dianne,

That appears to me to be really odd. We don't generally use windoze at all in
the Fletcher household, and everything works really well for us with Virgin
Media. We run Kubuntu on the desktops and Ubuntu Server on the little server.
The laptop runs Kubuntu Hardy and also works well via the WiFi.

How are you connected? Do you have ADSL down a phone line or a Virgin cable
modem? Do you use a separate router? Does it have WiFi? Do you use it?

Tell us exactly what you have and use, then somebody might be able to help get
you running.

Dave