[Wiltshire] Meeting 8 th December 2008

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Thu Dec 11 18:42:19 UTC 2008

On Thursday 11 Dec 2008, dianne reuby wrote:

> > How are you connected? Do you have ADSL down a phone line or a Virgin
cable
> > modem? Do you use a separate router? Does it have WiFi? Do you use it?
>
> > Tell us exactly what you have and use, then somebody might be able to help
get
> > you running.
> It's really odd - I've used virgin/ntl for years, and had no problems with
Ubuntu since I first tried it two years ago - worked immediately. But I was
using a USB connection rather than ethernet, mainly because we never got
round to buying a cable. :)  We just plugged the modem into whichever PC we
were going on line with - they're next to each other so it was no hassle and
we rarely wanted to be online at the same time.
> When we had the problem recently, the engineer put a new modem on for us as
ours was quite old, but it only has ethernet. Ubuntu finds my card, but won't
connect. Hence trying different cards, cables, slots, routers. XP is fine -

Dianne,

I would recommend that you never, ever, plug a computer directly into the
cable modem. Yes it should work, but, you are then effectively connected
directly to the Internet with the IP address provided by Virgin Media, and
open to attacks from anybody, anywhere.

What I have here, beside me, is a Belkin cable/DSL router which I used for
several years until I bought a wireless one to play with. I could let you try
it out and see if it solves your problem or not. The first time I installed
Red Hat Linux it worked OK for a while, then I think NTL changed the IP
address or something, and the printer stopped working due to address
confusion. As soon as I bought this router all of the problems went away.
Plus you're reasonably well hidden from wrong-doers by NAT, plus you can plug
in multiple computers.

Dave